If you’ve ever known the struggle of being in a sandwich rut, this recipe is for you. This insane chickpea avocado sandwich is full of flavour and nutrients, and will be a nice change from those boring PB&Js or ham and cheese sandwiches. With just a few ingredients, you can prepare an entire week’s worth of lunches in no time.
Makes filling for about 5 sandwiches
- 1 (15 oz) can cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 ripe avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ red or green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ lime or lemon
Toppings of your choice. Some ideas:
- Pizza-inspired: Slices of tomato or sundried tomato, shreds of mozzarella, and pepperoni
- For the sweet tooth: Grated carrots and raisins
- Greek style: Crumbled feta and sliced olives
- Breakfast sandwich: Slices of bacon and hardboiled egg
Bread of your choice. Examples:
- Wrap it up in a flour or corn tortilla
- Open-faced sandwich—toasted in the oven or served cold
- Lighter option—use as topping on thin crackers
- Bread-free option—wrap filling in large lettuce leaves
- Breakfast option—use as a topping for a waffle or toast, or as the filling for an omelette or crepe
1. Slice the avocado in two, remove the pit, and scoop out the avocado flesh into a bowl.
2. Drain the can of chickpeas and put them in the same bowl.
3. Slice the lime or lemon in two and squeeze the juices into the bowl as well.
4. Add the slices of chives (or onion or shallot).
5. Use a strong fork or potato masher to mash the chickpeas and avocado, mixing all the ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
6. Use the filling in any bread of your choice, warm or cold. Top with vegetables, cheeses, garnishes, egg, meat—make it as fancy as you want!
7. Keep leftovers covered and cold in the fridge.
—By Franklynn, Yale University and University College London